This vegetable stew recipe is great for the weekend lunch or dinner. Combine a bunch of vegetables into a pot and let it cook for 45 minutes.
The starting point is the broth base cooked with onion, tomato paste and ground beef.
When it is cooked for 20 minutes, add layers of carrots, cabbage, eggplant, bell pepper.
Make sure to sprinkle some salt and pepper on top of each layer.
Cook veggies (without stirring) for 45 mins, then turn off, stir and enjoy.
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onion cut into small pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ pound ground beef
- diced fresh tomato
- 2 cups of water
- 3 Tbps tomato sauce or 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 potatoes, cut into large pieces
- ½ medium sized white cabbage
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 bell pepper
- 2-3 bay leaves (optional)
- In a stock pot cook onions and garlic until golden. Keep stirring.
- Add ground beef, a diced tomato and tomato sauce
- Stir breaking down the beef for 5 minutes.
- Add water, salt and sprinkle black pepper to taste. Let it boil. Cook this combination for 20 minutes on low heat.
- After 20 minutes of cooking add following layers:
- a layer of potato pieces; sprinkle with salt and pepper;
- a layer of chopped cabbage, sprinkle with salt and pepper;
- a layer of chopped carrots;
- a layer of chopped eggplant; sprinkle with tiny bit of salt
- a layer of bell pepper. Put bay leaves on top.
- Cover with the lid and let it simmer for 45 minutes.
- Vegetables will produce juices. Turn off the heat after 45 mins.
- Stir up all these layers. The dish is ready when the cabbage is soft.