Guess what makes this cabbage stew so flavorful and irresistible? Nope, not the ‘hidden’ beef… just a couple of bay leaves. They infuse the water with aroma. If you do not have a pack of bay leaves in your kitchen cabinet, you are loosing a lot. This is a must-have item for every kitchen in the world. It costs almost nothing but makes dishes really delicious. Anything that requires boiling or stewing… potatoes, pasta, spaghetti, rice, you name it…add 2-3 leaves to the boiling salted water and enjoy the flavor.
Anyway, enough about bay leaves. We should all fall in love with cabbage in any shape and any size. Why? It has enormous health benefits, especially for women. Low calories facilitate natural weight loss and it fights cancer! There were numerous studies showing that women who consume cabbage on a regular basis had lower rates of breast cancer. So not only it tastes great, it may save lives!
So, for those of you who are interested to know how to make an easiest cabbage stew, here is the (russian-inspired) recipe. Don’t forget to share with your friends and family via pinterest. Thank you and stay tuned for new simple and simply global recipes.
- 2 Tbsp oil (grapeseed preferred)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 100 gr of ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 3 Tbsp tomato sauce for pasta
- 1 cup of hot water
- 1 medium sized cabbage, shredded
- 3 bay leaves, rinsed
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a deep pan until hot
- Saute onions with garlic for 2 minutes until onions are soft and browned
- Add ground beef, tomato and tomato sauce
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir well and cook for 5 minutes
- Add hot water, toss bay leaves and simmer on low for next 10 min
- While the meet is cooking, shred the cabbage
- When 10 mins pass, add the cabbage, stir well and close the lid tightly
- Increase heat to high
- When it starts boiling, reduce heat and simmer on low heat for about 25-30 minutes until the cabbage is fully cooked.