I had a pack (10-12 mushrooms) taking a space in my fridge for a few days.
Then an idea of mixing these mushrooms with cabbage came to my mind. Cabbage and shiitake mushrooms cooked with bean curds is a part of Japanese cuisine. I did not have any bean curds, so my ‘japanese’ dish had two main ingredients only. The taste was terrific anyway.
Soak shiitake mushrooms in cold water for 30 mins before cutting them. While mushrooms are soaking, cut the cabbage. Don’t forget to rinse the cabbage prior to shredding.
- 10-12 medium shiitake mushrooms (the more the better)
- ½ head small-sized cabbage
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil (grapeseed oil preferred)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine (mirin)
- Soak shiitake mushrooms for 30 min in cold water
- Shred cabbage and set aside
- Remove mushrooms from the liquid
- Cut off and discard the stems
- Slice the cups into strips
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet over a high heat
- Put mushrooms and cabbage and stir fry for a minute
- Turn down the heat to medium
- Add salt, soy sauce, and rice wine (mirin)
- Stir fry for 8-10 minutes until cabbage is soft but still crispy.