Bulgur vegetable soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium sized onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 liter chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup of water
- 2 celery ribs, cut into pieces
- ½ bell pepper, cubed
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbps tomato sauce for pasta (substitute: 1 Tbps tomato paste)
- ⅓ cup bulgur
- ½ bunch of fresh cilantro or parsley and/or dill, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 bay leaves (optional, for delicious flavor)
- Heat up the broth in a pot with added cup of water. Throw bay leaves in the pot (optional).
- When the broth starts boiling, reduce heat and simmer broth with celery, bell peppers, bulgur.
- In a separate frying pan heat up oil and saute onions with garlic for a minute
- Add carrots, tomatoes and tomato sauce to onions in the pan and stir fry all ingredients for a couple of minutes until tomatoes get soft.
- Combine stir-fried veggies from the frying pan to the pot with broth.
- Add cilantro/parsley/dill
- Simmer bulgur soup until everything is tender, about 30 min.